Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Burn TWC, Burn...


Google.com/Fiber main page (I redacted my email address from the top corner)



I think this is the original article: ars technica

Small related article: WSJ


I live in Kansas City, and yes my neighborhood qualified for the Google Gigabit fiber connections that are now being installed throughout the Metro area.  Up until recently I had the great pleasure of exactly 1 choice for high speed internet, Time Warner Cable.

I really really REALLY dislike TWC, with one exception.  That exception is the man who installed my cable, he was a freaking badass!  (if you are reading this installation guy, I went so far as to call your bosses boss and tell him that you were an excellent employee)  However the company as a whole has it's head so far in the sand that the only thing showing is its polished wingtips.  I have numerous examples of how TWC has intentionally screwed me but I have no interest in dealing with a liable suit.

The part that really makes me angry about this story is: Of course Time Warner and ATT want the same deal! They have been screwing customers for about a decade with the same shitty speeds and constant threat of a tiered structure.  Did you know that the United Sates, the country that created the internet, as the 13th fastest average access! 13th! Are you freaking kidding me! (source: Akamai based on Q4 2011).  Now TWC and ATT, the companies that have provided zero effort improving the infrastructure, have the balls to demand a equal playing field?   

Its time to get mad people!

How about we will make it equal when you provide speeds/services equal to Google.  How about we will make it equal when you provide free Gigabit connections to all of the public schools and libraries in the community.  How about you make it equal when you allow an open and free market for cable/internet services.

How about you recognize that your time is almost up and if you want to stay in existence its time to change your attitude toward your customer base.

I'm not a fan of consolidating power but I am firmly in the Google camp on this one.  With all due respect Mayor James please don't let those hypocrites push you around!

P.S. If you agree please comment so I know I'm not crazy, or at least we are crazy together.  And let Mayor James know, his twitter account is linked above.

Now if you will excuse me I'm going to go calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment